08 March 2009

Trail Running in the cities

As I continue to run more and more each week I get a bit tired of running the loop around my neighborhood. It consists of 3 1/2 foot sidewalks next to 4-6 lane streets which make it doable but not as pleasurable. The sidewalks make it a bit interesting when coming head to head with a lady and a stroller- looks like I'll take the grass on this passby. Also, the numerous exits and entrances on the streets mean you are bound to almost get ran over at least one time every 2 miles. Quick math- 4 to 6 miles a night means thats I put my life in jeopardy 2 to 3 times a night. But hell, I'll take my chances.

Anyway, on the weekends I have recently begun running on the local Katy Trail in Dallas. I contribute this to my actually being home while it is light outside. The trail starts about 2 miles or so south of me (it starts just south of SMU and I live a bit north and East of SMU) and travels thru the Park Cities, Knox Henderson and Uptown ending up at the American Airlines Center (AAC- for the locals). So all together the trail is about 3.5 miles long each way- making my journey about a 9-10 mile morning due to the 2 miles each way it takes me to get there. The trail provides a safe and secure place to run. The scenery ain't that bad either, if you catch my drift. It also showcases some of the trueness of Dallas. People walking with their lattes while jabbing away on their cell phones, the "Oh yea, she married for love couples" and those people with just weird fuckin' dogs. Really, they make that kind of breed? It makes me wonder sometime what happened to all the normal dogs in the world? Can people just not get a lab or golden retriever anymore? Everyone has to cross breed some dog with sometime else...
But nonetheless the trail is great and a great way to start a day on Saturday mornings. http://www.katytraildallas.org/site/PageServer

After I found this little gem (I had heard about it but never found a good way to get to it) it brought back memories of one of th best trails ever- the Monon Trail in Indianapolis! Now, before you go get all- "Where?" trust me. Indianapolis is one of the most underappreciated cities in the country- sort of like Kansas City- which I love!! I am actually kind of torn on where the NCAA headquarters should be....hmm. Anyway, during my two years of living in Indianapolis I had to find creative ways to get out for a bit. This was one of them. The Monon Trail (http://www.indygreenways.org/monon/monon.htm) is about 10 miles long running from north of the city to pretty much down town or other people say it starts downtown and goes north- but whatever. I would jump on the Monon around 86th street and run it down past the Arts districts and into the Broad Ripple area (52nd street). The Monon definitely has the Katy Trail beat in both mileage, access points and access to other trails. The Monon was a great way for me to get out and venture around Indianapolis on foot. However, as I continue to live in Dallas I will be taking in all I can in on the Katy Trail.

Anyway, both are great trails check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment