17 February 2009

Music...

I have yet to really mention this but one thing that I truly love is music. You can see this through in my Facebook profile. I try to keep an active, up to date, top 5 plays that are hitting my iPod often and frequent.

I really listen to 2 types of music; Red Dirt Music and some Top 40 from the UK. For those of you who haven't gotten into either of these genres you are really missing out. Red Dirt and music from the UK can get you through the day pretty easily and keep your iPod full.

Red Dirt Music has its roots in Oklahoma and Texas, hence the name. An easy way to think of this is southern rock with a little country twang. The music is rebelious and will talk about whiskey, women and weed. It truly speaks and is generally not welcome in Nashville- but hey, thats okay with me! My favorites tend to be Jason Boland, Cross Canadian Ragweed, and the Randy Rogers Band. I do have some other guys that I listen to, Stoney Larue, Eli Young Band and Jackson Taylor Band. The movement is huge in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana and Kansas. I remember back in the early 2000s, when I was in school, I could walk up to Longhorn's Saloon in Manhattan and see Ragweed for $5 at the door. However, by 2005 these guys were selling out in a few hours of announcing the show and scalping could go for quite a bit of cash. Now that I am in Texas I get plenty of exposure to all of this music- its on the radio, in bars, float trips and Billy Bob's!

Most days I stream a little BBC Radio 1 to my desk. Sure, work probably does not like that fact that I stream to my desk but heck, it keeps me moving! Music from the UK is fascinating and is pretty sweet. It appears to me that music from the UK is at times a month or so ahead of the US. A few bands you should check out include; Bloc Party and Kings of Leon. Check out streaming an online show from Scott Mills or listening to their "Official Chart Show." You know? Its official just like in the move "Love Actually," love is all around us....or whatever the song is.

Some other music that I have picked up include MGMT, Iglu and Hartley, Peter Bjorn and John, Razorlight, Bob Sinclair, etc. Whenever I see a movie or a show with good music (Entourage) I'll usually visit IMDB or the show's website to see what's up with their soundtrack. Also, good iTunes has some great iMixes and recommendations for you in the "User's Also Bought" section.

So get out there! Visit new types of music and see what happens! Music is great and makes the world move- so move it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment